Dear WI Colleagues,

We are writing to invite you and your students to participate in Mizzou's National Day on Writing (NDOW) events. The National Day on Writing (NDOW) was established by the National Council of Teachers of English ten years ago to celebrate writing and literacy.

This year the NDOW at Mizzou will be Thursday, October 17, 2019. We will have a booth set up on Lowry Mall and invite MU students, staff, faculty, and alumni to celebrate writing with us by composing short responses to the prompt "Why I Write." We'll share participants' stories and photos on social media to celebrate writing at Mizzou and highlight its role in our academic, professional, and civic lives.

We are also offering opportunities for Writing Marathons-hour-long writing events to walk around campus, write, and share. To participate, we invite you to email Amy Lannin ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) to request a one-hour slot between 10:00-2:00.

At the NDOW booth the following activities will also be taking place, and we hope you will encourage students and colleagues to stop by. By submitting writing to NDOW events, you will be entered into a drawing for one of four $50 Gift Cards to the Mizzou Store! See information below.

*         Collaborative Writing - help our university community create a group piece of writing

*         Language Origins - Where does language originate? How does it develop?

*         Pizza for a Poem - Write a Mizzou Poem and Get a Slice of Pizza

*         Tweet/post your "Why I write" or Mizzou Made responses

 Thank you for helping us make this event possible and for celebrating writing with us!

Sincerely,

Aaron Harms, Writing Center Director,

Becca Hayes, Director of Composition

Amy Lannin, Director of Campus Writing Program