There is a distinction; the question is whether there is a difference--in
the term "rape." "Flushed and decided, he assaults at once, / Exploring
hands encounter no defense."

It is true that she does not stop him. Is that required to make it rape?
Many of the #MeToo women who have reported being assaulted (or raped) also
did not. So the question remains whether women are responsible if they do
not "defend."

I am not making an argument about the word; I am raising a question at the
heart of #MeToo about who is responsible for an "assault" and what that
means about "rape." There is a new definition: *"This is archived content
from the U.S. Department of Justice website."* By this definition it was a
rape because "His vanity requires no response, / And makes a welcome of
indifferece.

*There was no "consent."* Clearly that is a different definition from
whatever was law in 1922 (or 1927 in US). But it is what young women
now generally accept and what is official. So the discussion needs context:

January 6, 2012
*The following post appears courtesy of Susan B. Carbon, Director of the
Office on Violence Against Women.* In a victory for survivors of rape and
their advocates, the Attorney General announced a newly revised definition
of rape for nationwide data collection, ensuring that rape will be more
accurately reported nationwide. The change sends an important message to
all victims that what happens to them matters, and to perpetrators that
they will be held accountable.  It was because of the voices of survivors,
advocates, law enforcement personnel and many others that FBI Director
Robert Mueller was able to make this important change within the FBI’s Uniform
Crime Report <http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr>(UCR) Summary
Reporting System (SRS).  “Forcible rape” had been defined by the UCR SRS as
“the carnal knowledge of a female, forcibly and against her will.”  That
definition, unchanged since 1927, was outdated and narrow. It only included
forcible male penile penetration of a female vagina. The new definition is:

“The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body
part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person,
without the consent of the victim.”