Dear Pete,

But maybe before Dylan the Nobel was more to Eliot's taste? At least he did not have to feel an affinity then.
Cheers,
Nancy

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 7:21 PM Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks Nancy and David. Yep I know you can have it but not use it if you aint British. Why bother  then? Never been the same here since we went to modern Australian gongs.  Guy I know has to say “Pass the potatoes Sir John”to his  father in law who got one in the old days . Bet the old boy likes keeping the son in law on the leash. Now that’s taking it seriously.  The Order of Australia has no honorific greeting. I suppose one would just have to wear it around your neck all the time. ( One thinks of the lady running down the beach yelling “My Son the doctor is drowning”)When a guy I know  got the top medal here (the AC) my wife did refer to him as “just another self serving arsehole lawyer” which seemed a bit brutal even if true. Alan Bennett has written cheerfully about being outed as having declined a knighthood latterly he’s spoilt it by writing about it as if reasons matter.  As you say the Nobel might be better fodder but then Dylan has made that as contemptible as anyone could. Still associating it with Patti Smith certainly did raise its status for me.

Cheers Pete

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: David Boyd
Sent: Monday, 28 October 2019 10:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Knighthood

And non  UK citizens can and do get offered knighthoods - but can’t adopt the title of Sir.

Eliot is said to have been offered a knighthood but turned it down. See eg

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CSQ5yRXERZIC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=did+ts+eliot+turn+down+knighthood&source=bl&ots=p1Ln_VXbj9&sig=ACfU3U1XhEBDYVGAgYo6-LJR8GpwAyb6wA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4_aLdwr3lAhVZQUEAHYjbBP8Q6AEwEnoECA4QAQ#v=onepage&q=did%20ts%20eliot%20turn%20down%20knighthood&f=false

(Even eg John Betjeman was offered (and accepted) a knighthood, so a bit inconceivable that Eliot wouldn’t have been )

Sent from my iPad