Two things matter here. First, Eliot repeatedly denied that the poem was
about any woman at all but about a statue that, in fact, he never saw. Not
that that means he really had no emotional experience behind it, whatever
he denied.

But the "maiden" was Venus, goddess of love (also his mother), and she is
about to send him to the palace of Dido, where he will be protected and
where he will fall in love with Dido (or at least she will be in love and
he will be her lover/partner in building Carthage until Zeus tells him to
leave). She appears specifically for the purpose of sending him there.

That scene is not about transcending the merely human but about going off
to find what turns out to be a very physical and passionate and human love
(they make love in a cave in a rainstorm and she takes that as marriage).
Venus was divine and celestial but hardly into Platonic love.

If one uses that image and story, it does matter what is happening in the
story.
Nancy