For iPhone users there’s also a $0.99 Bird Codes app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bird-codes/id500496362

Kevin Wehner
Columbia, MO
On Aug 19, 2019, 11:30 PM -0500, Deepa Mohan <[log in to unmask]>, wrote:
I was not sure what the custom was on this list-serv, so I had not mentioned it...but I am sure there may be other birders like me, who are not "native" to the US but who have enjoyed birding there. I can relate to "Mississippi Kite" but MIKI makes me think of the Disney mouse!

I agree, that the abbreviations are very convenient, but mentioning the entire name once somewhere, would help people like me..not new to birding, but still lacking in expert knowledge and experience.

I would like to share two abbreviation stories from my birding experience in my own country. Very early in my birding journey, I went with several others to see what the others were excitedly describing as the White E-Bee. Too inhibited to ask what this was, I riffled through my bird book and could not find it. It was only when I reached the destination that I realized that the bird was the YTB....the Yellow-throated Bulbul, endemic to our area! Again, in a group walk I conduct, someone excitedly shouted, "Short-toed! Short-toed!" (meaning, the Short-toed Snake Eagle), and I found a newbie couple looking carefully at the ground...looking for the short toad! (My walks are nature walks, not just-bird walks.)  So now I do insist that on my group, at least, there are no STSE (see above) or IPFC (Indian Paradise FlyCatcher)...that the bird's name is written in full :D

I still have problems when entering bird names on my birding lists in eBird, too..

Cheers, Deepa.