I checked out Bittern Marsh Pool at the NE corner of Fountain Grove CA a couple of times last week. Pretty good mud flat has developed there again this year after all the high water earlier. The shoreline is quite a ways out from the road though. Fairly easy to walk out and get closer until the weeds get taller. I observed 10 species of shorebirds both times of the more common expected ones migrating through now, so nothing too exciting, but bears watching.

Steve Kinder

BTW - Swan Lake NWR still closed as repairs continue there. Mgr. has reported seeing a Mute Swan and two Sandhill Cranes on the refuge lately. Don't know how long before it will reopen?