Sometimes the other suggestions work. Also, a 1:1 solution of sugar water in a pie plate may work even better than a designated feeder, especially if you put gravel in the bottom for the bees to land on.

But the only foolproof tactic is to use a feeder that doesn't offer bees a free meal, by keeping the syrup level too low for insects to reach. For this, you can forget Perky-Pets and most other bottle feeders. I prefer the HummZinger Mini bowl feeder by Aspects, also sold as WBU's house brand. Simply don't fill it all the way. It also has a built-in ant moat, and is the easiest feeder to clean on the market. I have never  interest other than as a happy 20-year customer.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/