Hi everyone,

Please find the latest from GIJN below. Have a nice day,

Gabi./

Undercover Butcher, Lava Jato, Satellite GIFs, GIJC19....
GIJN Bulletin -- August 14, 2019

The Undercover Butcher

"...In October 2018, we had a tip-off: A slaughterhouse was selling the meat of sick cattle, some arriving at the facility already dead. After sneaking around the slaughterhouse at night, we knew our source was telling the truth. But how to prove it? We decided that one of us needed to go undercover and get hired as a butcher. Luckily, I got the job..." Read more on Patryk Szczepaniak's lessons from working undercover.

Inside the Lava Jato Team

To expose the massive, cross-border corruption scandal that came to be known as Lava Jato, or Car Wash, journalists from across Latin America had to find ways to work together. In the process, they transformed investigative journalism in the region. Their work ultimately helped expose at least 10 former presidents, as well as vice presidents, governors, ministers, and other top officials who received millions of dollars in bribes. GIJN's Spanish editor Catalina Lobo-Guerrero writes about the epic collaboration.

Satellite Imagery GIF

Sometimes a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Using satellite imagery, journalists can show the long-term damage from climate change, disasters, and secret facilities in remote areas. Storybench editor Aleszu Bajak offers this tutorial on how to piece together revealing satellite imagery into a timelapse GIF using R.

Free Story Templates

Kudos to the Financial Times for making public its templates for different types of digital stories, including charticles, timeline stories, photo essays and animated explainers. The FT has shared them on Github so other newsrooms can adapt them for their own use.

GIJC19 Update

We're still stunned at the huge response to this year's Global Investigative Journalism Conference. Big thanks to our colleagues who have responded so enthusiastically. We're now sold out, sorry. We expect a record crowd, and our venues can't handle more. For those unable to join us, we promise live video streaming and coverage in eight languages, so stay tuned to #GIJC19 on Twitter. Among the highlights: workshops on covering indigenous communities, citizen investigators, nonprofits, exiled journalists, documentaries, disinformation, verification, digital security, and mojo, plus our largest-ever data track featuring dataviz, scraping, mapping, coding, geolocation, AI, algorithms and more.
Also on GIJN.org

Dollars for Data Journalism: How One Project Makes Money by Selling Data on Police, Erika Owens

When Media Capture Backfires: Local Elections and Digital Media in Turkey, Duygu Güvenç and Jérémie Langlois

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: Visualizing Climate Change, Numbers from Phrases, Democratic Donors, Moscow Money, Eunice Au & Connected Action

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: Hong Kong Protests, Migration Waves, Democratizing Dataviz, Eunice Au & Connected Action

Tips & Tools

Stories of the Week

Cuba: Odebrecht Cozied up to Castros, Miami Herald

US: Parents Give Up Kids for College Aid, ProPublica Ill.

Saudi Arabia: How to Make Dissidents Disappear, Vanity Fair

Russia: Extrajudicial Executions in Chechnya, Novaya Gazeta

Congo: Sassou-Nguesso's Laundromat, Global Witness

China: Muslim Detention Camps, NYTimes

Honduras: A Pandora Box of Corruption, Univision

Taiwan: A Multimedia Look Back at Killer Typhoon Morakot, Initium

Russia/Ukraine: MH17 – Five Years Later (podcast), Bellingcat

Global: Monsanto "Intel Center" Targeted Journalists, Guardian

Coming Events

Support GIJN
+Forward this newsletter to a friend
+Sent from a friend? Subscribe here.
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
GIJN.org
GIJN.org
Contact Us
Contact Us
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN), All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 7375 · Silver Spring, MD 20907 · USA

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================