Hi everyone,

Below, the latest news from our network. Have a nice day,

Gabi./

Puerto Rico, GIJC19 Sells Out, Climate Guide....
GIJN Bulletin -- July 31, 2019

Journalism Impact: Puerto Rico

If you're looking for impact by investigative journalists, check out what our colleagues in Puerto Rico just did. For almost two weeks, hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans marched in the streets demanding the resignation of Governor Ricardo Rossello after GIJN member Puerto Rican Centro de Periodismo Investigativo exposed texts that revealed Rossello and his cronies disparaging gays, women and hurricane survivors. The texts also provided an inside look at "inappropriate and illegal interventions" by businessmen profiting off Puerto Rico's misfortune. Rossello has since resigned. Image screenshot from Oscar Thurin.

Global Conference Sells Out

Due to unprecedented interest, the Global Investigative Journalism Conference has now sold out. We're sorry we can't accommodate everyone who wants to come, as we've now reached the capacity of our host facilities. There may be cancellations, so we encourage those still interested to get on the waiting list. We'll have a terrific program ready to release soon, with a record of 200 panels and workshops, along with 275 speakers from 50 countries. Follow the action at #GIJC19.

New Climate Change Guide

New from the GIJN Resource Center: A guide to investigative angles in covering the climate crisis. While much of the news comes from scientists, we found lots of potential for in-depth, imaginative reporting. You'll find leads for investigative projects, critiques on current coverage, and links to the best resources on this vast and challenging story.

Venezuela: Reporting from Exile

Doing journalism in Venezuela today is tough not only because the government has clamped down on press freedom, but also due to the rough conditions for classic shoe-leather reporting. Check out how Armando.Info's editorial team manages an award-winning newsroom with key editors in exile and reporters still on the ground in Venezuela.
Also on GIJN.org

Measuring Impact: 6 Tools for Media Makers and Funders, Katie Donnelly

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: Aging Wimbledon, Must-Read DataViz, Bad Charts, German Opera, Eunice Au & Connected Action

Get Crafty: 7 Story Structures to Try Out in Your Next Investigation, Paul Bradshaw

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: Amazon.com, the Menstrual Cycle, Canadian Sex Crimes, Nonsensical Diagrams, Eunice Au & Connected Action

A Model Collaboration That’s Working to Rebuild Local News in Colorado, Christine Schmidt
Support GIJN

Tips & Tools

Stories of the Week

Puerto Rico: Leaked Chat Messages, CPI

Mauritius Leaks, ICIJ

Ukraine: The US Duo Helping Investigate for Trump, OCCRP

Colombia: Contracts of Force & Justice, Rutas del Conflicto

Venezuela: Smugglers Paradise, InfoAmazonia

Taiwan: Saving Pangolins from Extinction, Pangolin Reports

Global: Migration Waves, NatGeo

Iraq: $112 Millions Wasted on Fake Cultural Projects, DARAJ

Nepal: Officers Behind Everest Scams, CIJ Nepal

Coming Events

+Forward this newsletter to a friend
+Sent from a friend? Subscribe here.
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
GIJN.org
GIJN.org
Contact Us
Contact Us
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN), All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 7375 · Silver Spring, MD 20907 · USA

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================