This is a tardy field trip report for the Burrough's Audubon of Kansas City
extended field trip to northern Minnesota between June 15th and June 18th.
This report, with photos and hyperlinks to ebird checklists can be read on
the following link.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/2019-june-mn-trip-report/

We are in the process of scheduling fall, winter, and spring field trips
for the next year and look for trips to be added to the website in the
coming weeks.  The field trips are open to all and everyone is invited!  If
you are interested in leading a trip please contact me or Mike Stoakes.  I
hope everyone nature as much as possible and I look forward to getting out
with you soon.

http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/

Sincerely,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park Kansas) & Mike Stoakes (Burroughs Field Trip
Coordinators)

______________________ Trip Report ______________________

After traveling most of Saturday the group had a short walk at Hawk Ridge
to see the terrain and get a look at Lake Superior. Not many birds were
seen in the late afternoon heat and the trail required hiking boots and let
us know we weren’t on flat land anymore. We spent Sunday with Clinton
Nienhaus, the head naturalist at Sax-Zim Bog, and explored the many
different habitats available in this birding hotspot. A trip in June
allowed us to focus on nesting birds that we don’t see in Kansas and
Missouri or only see in migration.

The many highlights from this overcast day include Sharp-tailed Grouse,
Black-backed Woodpeckers, LeConte’s Sparrows, Yellow-bellied Flycatchers,
Canada Jay, Bobolinks, Blue-headed Vireos, Common Raven, Veery, and many
Warblers! Connecticut Warblers were heard only and were one of only a few
species that didn’t offer looks in the open to everyone. https://saxzim.org/
 Clinton is an amazing trip leader, naturalist, and educator that comes
highly recommended as a guide for any group visiting the area. Reach out to
him and see if he is available for your visit! A group of us stayed quite
close to the Bog and visited the area at dusk and had fleeting looks at a
Great Gray Owl and supper visits from a male Evening Grosbeak at an Airbnb.

Monday included many couple hour drives to find specialty species spread
out across northern Minnesota. We started the day early with a hike at
Oberg Mountain and found many singing Black-throated Blue Warblers among
others.

After lunch, we drove to Cook Minnesota where Spruce Grouse and
Black-backed Woodpeckers highlighted a short section of a dirt road where
the many species were only seen or heard by a couple of people in the
group. Yellow Rails started to call at McGregor Marsh around dusk. Along
the way, we donated blood to the robust MN mosquito population. Overall we
ended with 108 species including 3 Grouse species (Sharp-tailed, Ruffed,
and Spruce) and 20 species of Warblers.