Charlene, I can't recommend using anything like vaseline if there's any reasonable chance a bird might get into it. It's not a matter of touching the feeder. The way hummers push each other around like hockey players at feeders, one would inevitably get stuff on its feathers, thence into its mouth when preening.

This is why I stopped using window-mount feeders; there's no safe way to defend them. However, consider hanging a small "regular" feeder (below an ant moat, if the feeder doesn't have a moat built in) from a suction-cup hook stuck to the window. Bird stores sell such hooks, and they work well.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/