A few years ago, I tried a similar product called Bug Slip. It's apparently a liquid suspension of Teflon, and came in a bottle with a cotton dauber in the cap and a roll of aluminum tape. I applied it to the brass hanging rods of my HummZinger hummingbird feeders, and let it dry. It seemed to work for a month or two.

But I've gone back to my former arrangement, an ant moat hung open-end down, the inside-bottom coated very lightly with Tree Tanglefoot, a non-toxic castor bean product sold by nurseries to protect fruit trees from climbing beetles. One application lasts all summer with no maintenance, it stops ants cold, and the moat keeps it off the birds' feathers. Ants don't get stuck in the goo, they simply won't try to cross it. Tanglefoot is unspeakably sticky (it's the active ingredient in flypaper), and tends to run in the heat of full sun, so use it very sparingly; a thin half-dollar size circle in the center is plenty. It cleans up with alcohol or mineral spirits, which I do in winter after the feeders come down.

OTOH, many folks enjoy watching chickadees drink water from their rightside-up ant moats, though they require refilling at least daily. These are all good choices, without applying dangerous substances like grease/oil/vaseline to hummer feeders.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/