I would add to this, from our experiences in India...large-scale human intervention in the ecosystem (feeding or protection of one species) often does not go well, upsetting the balance, and we never seem to think things through on long-term  ramifications!

Cheers, Deepa.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 1:43 PM WILLIAM R EDDLEMAN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Herons and egrets fly 25 miles or more to forage and gather food for young. I suspect this is not really a concern.

——Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 7, 2019, at 10:41 PM, JJ Holder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Have anyone thought about food source for 240 nesting babies?
> One of the neighbors mentioned there was a small flooded area by the construction earlier months this year (now blocked with the blinds where we conducted the survey area) that created marsh for some birds from the beginning. Now there’s not even existing water in that area.
> We noticed BCNH babies begging for food from the parents this morning, and watched the adult bird hopping to the next nest kicked off one un-hatched egg in front of us.
> Another case, watching LBH get down on the ground searching for food in a very limited soil area. Should we brainstorm something we can do to help these birds? for that humans destroyed the nature environment. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Jennifer
>
>> On Jul 7, 2019, at 7:47 PM, Pat Lueders <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Lisa, for the report!  Very impressive totals to share with the management company.  We need to remain vigilant until all of this nesting is complete.  Thanks to everyone involved in this endeavor.
>>
>> Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Jul 7, 2019, at 4:42 PM, Lisa Saffell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Twenty one of us conducted a nest survey of the Rookery located in St. Louis City this morning.  We surveyed the area bordered by North Sarah, North Vandeventer, McPherson, and Washington.  The Majority of the property is Westminster Place Apartments with some private abandoned property in the middle and SLU Maressa Center property on Washington.
>>>

>>> 84 Trees on the Westminster property have active nests or nest building.  I don’t have the actual count, but the majority of these trees are marked for removal or trimming and a few belong to St. Louis City.
>>>
>>> 175 Active Nests and countless in progress
>>> 129 Little Blue Heron nests (11 with nestlings, 1 with fledglings)
>>> 8 Snowy Egrets
>>> 5 Great Egrets (1 with nestlings)
>>> 24 Black-crowned Night Herons