A Baird’s Sandpiper is the newest shorebird to join the gathering off of CR 4033 in Callaway County. Two Sanderlings continue. I didn’t see any Western Sandpipers today.

Some shorebirds have moved east of the road as habitat has dried up (if you visit, be sure to look here too). Although just a fraction of last week’s numbers, many are still eating fly eggs in the mud, as well as the copious flies laying them.

I went up on the levee overlooking the floodplain at the eastern end of CR 4038 before the closure and found a Black Tern in the distance. Also, Great Egrets are starting to discover the area in numbers. Large mudflats have formed to the south, with a small scattering of shorebirds on them already. I think this is a location where larger numbers will come down.

Checklist with poor back-of-camera photos until I get home:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58548801

Good birding everyone,

Pete

Pete Monacell,