This afternoon, counted singly just west of the newly reopened CR 4033:

Pectoral Sandpiper-324
Least Sandpiper-57
Semipalmated Sandpiper-17
Lesser Yellowlegs-1
Semipalmated Plover-3
Plus approx. 30 peep sp. in flight

This gathering may be part of an even larger shorebird event, with more to come. The available shorebird habitat here is more extensive than what we’ve recently seen south of Hartsburg.

Also 100+ Great Blue Herons, eight Bald Eagles, a Mississippi Kite, a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, and a pair of Lark Sparrows returning to a previously flooded field.

CR 4038 (Mokane Road) is now passable, with care and a high-clearance vehicle, from CR 4035 east to the longstanding closure at Rivaux Creek. Only about 1.5 miles of the road remain inaccessible but can be bypassed using MO-94. The mudflats that have opened or are opening along Mokane Road are among the largest I’ve seen in Missouri.

Good birding everyone,
Pete

Sent from my iPhone