Tom Carraway found and Connie Alwwod, Doug Hommert and I also observed a Loggerhead Shrike on Red School Road near Riverlands.

 First of all, while we observed this birdfrom the road we were confronted by 2 local residents who have had recent problems with burglaries, vandals and other problems as the high waters receded and they did NOT want us there. If you go to see this bird I would get a quick look from the road, in your car, then move on.

Direction: Take wise road out of  Riverlands, right on red school , then between the next hard left and the end of the large body of water on the left he was moving around but always on the phone wires. At first I was thinking Northern since the mask did not seem to come above the eye, bill seemed large with prominent hook. But Connie convinced us otherwise since the mask was much wider than most Northerns.

Drove around St Charles county. Lots of habitat but now much in the way of shorebirds; a couple black-necked Stilts along Highway H. Of note were 2 Western Kingbirds on the wires along Mullanphy just before the first house on the left when you turn off of Black Walnut Road.

Dave Haenni
Des Peres, MO