 Mitch Leachman with St. Louis Audubon Society and Scott with Missouri Dept. of Conservation met with Vicki, the leasing manager for Westminster Place, this morning. In a nutshell, the trees were marked for removal long before the Rookery moved in. They are under a deadline to have certain trees removed for insurance purposes because of root damage to walkways and buildings.

Vickie was extremely upset about what transpired, so please everyone, no more emails to them unless you want to say thank you!
Also, to Vickie’s defense she did reach out and contact numerous agencies for guidance but they were the wrong agencies who gave her some bad advice. I’ll let Mitch elaborate on that.

Westminster Place leasing office is more than willing to wait on the removal of the trees but ultimately they must abide by the requirements of their insurance company and their owners (corporate). Mitch, MDC, and the USFWS will provide them with whatever information they need to convince the insurance company and corporate to delay removal of the trees.

To that end I am calling for volunteers to help conduct a nest survey in the area this Sunday, July 7th at 8:00 AM. We will provide this information to them as a way to drive home the impact of removing the trees. This is approximately a three-four block area of trees with nests, not just on Westminster Place property, so the more people who can help the better.

We will meet in front of the abandoned building at 4000 Olive at 8:00 AM. If you can volunteer your time to help with the survey please email me directly at [log in to unmask] so I can have an accurate count of how many volunteers we have.

I am incredibly impressed with the Missouri Birding community and how everyone came together, on a Federal holiday no less, to minimize the damage. Happy to be a part of the community!

Lisa Saffell
St. Louis, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: September 27-29, 2019 at Camp Cover Point, Lake of the Ozarks State Park, Osage Beach, MO