I’ve spent time the last week photographing purple martins - first at Creve Coeur Lake in St Louis, then up here in Kirksville.

Yesterday, I specifically wanted to get photos of them in flight and bringing food to their nestlings.  They brought in a variety of bugs, including dragonflies and even small butterflies.

It’s quite a challenge to photograph these soaring birds, with their quick turns and dark purple color.

Photos can be found at:
flickr.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO