From: "Lisa Saffell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday July 7 2019 3:42:52PM
Subject: St. Louis City Heron/Egret Rookery Survey

Twenty one of us conducted a nest survey of the Rookery located in St. Louis City this morning. We surveyed the area bordered by North Sarah, North Vandeventer, McPherson, and Washington. The Majority of the property is Westminster Place Apartments with some private abandoned property in the middle and SLU Maressa Center property on Washington.

84 Trees on the Westminster property have active nests or nest building. I don’t have the actual count, but the majority of these trees are marked for removal or trimming and a few belong to St. Louis City.

175 Active Nests and countless in progress
129 Little Blue Heron nests (11 with nestlings, 1 with fledglings)
8 Snowy Egrets
5 Great Egrets (1 with nestlings)
24 Black-crowned Night Herons
9 Unidentified

I believe and hope all of the trees with active nests were marked with yellow caution tape and the number of nests written on the tape.

St. Louis University Maressa Center on Washington has 35 Active Great Egret Nests and countless in progress. 11 Little Blue Heron nests and 9 that could not be identified.

The abandoned building at 4000 Olive next to the community garden of corn and sunflowers has 7 Little Blue Heron Nests of which one has nestlings.

With all of the activity we noted today these numbers are likely to rise daily.

This was a monumental effort completed in less than three hours with no complaints or problems from the residents.

The area between Westminster Place and McPherson lost the most trees on July 4. I can’t help but wonder how many actual nests were destroyed.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who participated in the survey today, it was a great success!

Lisa Saffell
St. Louis
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
/> ABA Birding Code of Ethics