From: "Carla_Kevin Hogan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:56:50 PM
Subject: Re: heron rookery nest watch

​Hi Edge and everyone, We had success doing this around K.C. when Carla and I were at Lakeside Nature Center.  We successfully achieved this with owls, hawks and kestrels.  We even usually had success sneaking Canada goslings into big bunches of babies  with numerous sets of goslings and adults(thanks to hiding the adopted baby under a cloth and distracting the adults with food!)  If the parent saw them introduced they sometimes attacked them.    We got pretty sly doing this with all the "kidnapped" Canada babies we received!  To my knowledge birds (or most birds) can't count their young.  Of course they must be similar in size to at least some of the young and a responsible rehabber was careful not to cause damage by placing to large of a burden on the feeding parents.  We fought the old battle almost every time explaining that few birds are able to smell human scent on the young and will not adopt them for this reason (this can be true with some mammals).  When fostering in or returning kidnapped baby rabbits we would gently handle the new babe along with the others to confuse Mom!   Even though they smell now a little different, Mom was too good of a Mom to reject the whole nest. This reliably worked as well.  I had heard about birds rejecting babies because of human scent too before becoming a rehabber, we only know what we know and are taught.  We're praying it works.  Carla shared that some colony nesters can recognize and respond only to their own young's call, we don't know about rookery nesters.  I'm sure Joe can contact rehabbers in Florida, for ex., to pick their brains about this if needed.  Kevin Hogan, Carla Bascom.  Shannon Co., Mo.