I don't know nuthin' about herons, but a few years ago I helped another hummingbird bander rescue two BCHU chicks whose mother had died on the nest during the night. We snipped the nest with a few inches of twig from the bush, without removing the chicks.

The bander owned an orchard and knew of an active BCHU nest with only one chick. He tied the twig/nest to the same branch. The hen immediately started feeding "her" new babies, and all three chicks eventually fledged.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO