Shining Light Finalists, #GIJC19 Selling Out, Ressa Keynote
GIJN Bulletin -- July 17, 2019

Global Shining Light Finalists

Twelve extraordinary investigative projects focused on 11 countries are now finalists for the eighth Global Shining Light Award. Winners will be announced on September 28 at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference. This year, the award drew a record 291 entries. Among the finalists: exposés of a massive corruption network spanning Latin America, extrajudicial killings in Venezuela, the plundering of Africa, and organ traders in the Middle East.

#GIJC19 Nears Sell-Out,
Ressa to Keynote

Faced with huge demand for this year's Global Investigative Journalism Conference, GIJN and its partners have suspended ticket sales to ensure we have enough capacity to cope with the record crowds expected. Meanwhile, we're delighted to announce that Maria Ressa, a TIME Person of the Year in 2018, will be our keynote speaker. A global symbol of press freedom, Ressa and her muckraking Rappler news staff are under sustained political and legal attack by the Duterte government in the Philippines. Maria is as inspiring as she is courageous.

Around the World

Independent journalism faces extinction in Pakistan, as shown in this troubling feature on the leading daily Dawn. In Africa, the African Investigative Publishing Collective overcame numerous challenges to expose business as usual for African kleptocrats. In Russia, an activist and a journalist collaborate by diving into taboo topics tied to women behind bars.

Guides & How-Tos

For insights into the craft of investigative journalism, read how the New York Times used social media and open-source tools to investigate the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, how the Wall Street Journal investigated the economic impact of climate change, and how Times' ace writer Dan Barry put together a brilliant story on the life and death of a Chinese immigrant sex worker. We also launched a new "My Favorite Tools" series, starting with freelance Africa correspondent Emmanuel Freudenthal, and ran Nothing2Hide's versatile approach to digital security.

What's New in Data

OpenCorporates spent months gathering data on over five million German companies -- here's how its team assembled all that data. For more inspiration, check out Hackastory's line-up of great digital stories this year, ranging from a Guardian interactive on the internet as seen from different countries to a Dutch game that puts you in war-torn Mosul. And be sure to catch up with GIJN's own weekly Top 10 #ddj on what's buzzing in the data journalism community.

Nonprofits & New Models

Readers can be a powerful tool for journalism, but journalists must be mindful of how we engage them. Ask yourself this list of questions from ProPublica before you embark on a crowdsourced reporting project. Start treating your supporters like customers and heed the advice in this piece on attracting quality readers. And check out the out-sized impact of AmaBhungane, a South African investigative newsroom, in supporting regional media startups.

Tips & Tools

Stories of the Week

Brazil: Lava Jato and Lula, Intercept

Colombia: Military Cover-up, Semana

China: Surveillance App in Tourist  Phones, Guardian

Uganda: Stealing from the Sick, BBC Africa Eye

Amazon: Dirty Timber, OjoPublico, Mongabay

Mauritania: Fake Diagnosis, ARIJ

Brazil: Rainforest on Fire, Pulitzer Center, Intercept

Russia: Moscow Funeral Industry, Meduza

Dark Side of the Caribbean, El Faro & El Pais

37 Lives Lost at Sea, ara.cat

New Odebrecht Leaks, ICIJ

Africa: How Poor Countries Waste Billions, AIPC

Coming Events

Support GIJN
+Forward this newsletter to a friend
+Sent from a friend? Subscribe here.
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
GIJN.org
GIJN.org
Contact Us
Contact Us
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN), All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 7375 · Silver Spring, MD 20907 · USA

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================