While Lost Valley Trail remains partially submerged under water and essentially inaccessible, a good alternative is the Hamburg Trail that is in the same area. I accessed it on the west side of Hwy 94 from the 2nd trail access parking lot south of Francis Howell High School. (The turn in comes up quickly).

The portion of the trail from the parking lot access to the tunnel under Hwy 94 is heavily wooded, so that's the kind of birds you'll find there. I saw a BLACK VULTURE pass directly above me only about 50 - 75 meters above. All of its distinguishing features were easily observed. Interestingly, I encountered Jethro Runco on the trail, along with five others in the group, coming from the direction I was heading, they also saw the Black Vulture.

Here is the list of breeding songbird migrant species that I encountered on the trail. There were many individuals of almost every species listed here, except I only heard one Worm-eating Warbler.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Easter Wood Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Worm-eating Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
American Redstart
Cerulean Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-throated Warbler
Summer Tanager
Indigo Bunting

Note: You can also access this trail by parking at the Lost Valley Trail parking lot. Cross Hwy 94 there and where you see the paved road get onto that and follow your own sense of direction. You'll see a tunnel that goes under Hwy 94. Once there, just follow the path that leads into the forest.

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO