It was a gorgeous morning this past Sunday to be out on Hi Lonesome Prairie Conservation Area with some great birds!

As I arrived, I thought, "Okay, 30-40 species would be likely; 50 species observed would be a banner day."  As the morning continued, the winds increased striking a blow at my Achilles heel - hampering my ability to hear the birds calling.  Walking at least 2 miles throughout the prairie, it wasn't until about 10:30 am that I heard the first Upland Sandpiper calling, then a second responded - back and forth with possibly a third calling, but the wind made it difficult to triangulate for certain a third bird was present.

Other highlights included a calling Willow Flycatcher at the pond west of the east parking lot (off Lumpee Ave), many visible Grasshopper Sparrows, many hidden Henslow's Sparrows, a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at the north most edge of the property on Lumpee Ave located on utility lines of neighboring home, and over 16 Gray Catbirds & Bell's Vireos.

It was just a glorious day to be on a prairie that day.  eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57076500

At the private prairie west of Hi Lonesome was this year's Missouri Prairie Foundation's Bio-blitz location - property of MPF member Dr. Morten (sp?).  He is doing amazing things with his property/prairie restoration project!  They are kindred spirits, and we spoke of lichens and mosses of MO's prairies, of birds, and such.  It was a great all around day to be on the prairie there in Cole Camp, MO.

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."   JOHN MUIR