News » T S Eliot Society

TS Eliot and the British Council

A new article on the TS Eliot Foundation website explores the work which Eliot did for the British Council, during and just after the Second World War.

Described as “cultural warfare”, Eliot undertook lectures for the Council in Stockholm, Paris and Rome, with other trips planned but cancelled as the War progressed. While some of the lectures appeared in other forms, some have been published for the first time in The Complete Prose of TS Eliot.

Eliot summed up his experience of touring with the British Council following his trip to Rome: “I feel like Sherlock Holmes, who summarised his history since last seeing Watson by saying ‘I then passed through Persia, looked in at Mecca, and paid a short but interesting visit to the Khalifa at Khartoum, the results of which I have communicated to the Foreign Office’.”

http://s699163057.websitehome.co.uk/tseliot-news

A Sherlock Holmes again!

CR