News » T S Eliot Society

TS Eliot and the British Council

A new article on the TS Eliot Foundation website explores the work which
Eliot did for the British Council, during and just after the Second World
War.

Described as “cultural warfare”, Eliot undertook lectures for the Council
in Stockholm, Paris and Rome, with other trips planned but cancelled as the
War progressed. While some of the lectures appeared in other forms, some
have been published for the first time in The Complete Prose of TS Eliot.

Eliot summed up his experience of touring with the British Council
following his trip to Rome: “I feel like Sherlock Holmes, who summarised
his history since last seeing Watson by saying ‘I then passed through
Persia, looked in at Mecca, and paid a short but interesting visit to the
Khalifa at Khartoum, the results of which I have communicated to the
Foreign Office’.”

http://s699163057.websitehome.co.uk/tseliot-news

A Sherlock Holmes again!

CR