Or one could read* Nightwood. *

It is true that Eliot published it when others would not. But it is a
complicated story, if one reads her text with Eliot's cuts and revisions.
There is a pattern to quite a lot of his cuts in which Dr.
Matthew-Mighty-grain-of-salt-Dante-O'Connor is in scenes of public
humiliation. Eliot altered the text with his cuts; even so it remains
complex and often perverse.

The book remains brilliant and difficult. I think the modernist genius goes
to Barnes.

Barnes later asked Eliot to write an introduction to her next book, and she
felt betrayed by his rather dismissive one, which he would not alter.

I assume the original is still at U Maryland, where it was when I read it a
long time ago.
Nancy