Welcome all these new centers.  Congratulations.

Drew Sullivan - Editor
Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
Sarajevo/Bucharest/Riga/Washington
twitter: @drewOCCRP
+387 61 139 403 (mob)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Gabriela Manuli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

As usual, please let me share the latests news from GIJN. Have a great day, Gabi./

7 New Members, 10 Commandments, ForoCAP & Les Jours
GIJN Bulletin -- June 19, 2019

Welcome to GIJN's New Members

Please join us in welcoming seven new members from seven countries into GIJN's growing family: The New Humanitarian (Switzerland), Journalism Practitioners’ Forum (Japan), Nashi Groshi Lviv (Ukraine), Pakistan Press Foundation (Pakistan), Investico (Netherlands) and our first members in Bolivia, Fundacion Blue Foresta, and Lesotho, MNN Centre for Investigative Journalism. These groups bring GIJN’s global membership to 182 organizations in 77 countries. Interested in joining? Membership is open to nonprofits working to support investigative journalism.

10 Commandments for Journalists

Should we sacrifice the good reporter for the editor, the investigator for the manager and the newshound for the head of audience development? Colombian reporter Ginna Morelo penned these 10 Commandments of the Journalist to remind us what we shouldn't sacrifice as journalists in this ever-evolving industry.

Les Jours' Obsessions

“Synopsis,” “soundtrack,” “episode,” “mood”… This is the language used daily within the Parisian offices of Les Jours. But don’t let its vocabulary fool you: While the three-year old media company borrows the codes of TV fiction producers, it actually runs a hard-hitting investigative news site. Olivier Holmey writes for GIJN on Les Jours' idea to serialize the news, breaking stories down into nail-biting episode after episode for readers.

A Moving Forum in Central America

Art has the power to touch others in a more direct and at times disturbing ways when journalism fails to do so. This caused GIJN's Spanish Editor Catalina Lobo-Guerrero to ponder: Have we become so obsessed with data and facts that we've forgotten to tell moving stories with characters? In this piece, she recaps the uncomfortable questions and needed conversations that occurred at ForoCAP, the Central American Journalism Forum.

Break News at GIJC19

Got a big announcement? Have a new story or report ready to release? Break it at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference this September. We'll promote to all 1200 expected attendees from 130 countries, including a press release with links to your story and organization. We've already signed up new reporting guides, just-released books, a new reporting network, and a hot new podcast. Contact us at [log in to unmask]. And don't forget early bird registration ends July 15.
Also on GIJN.org

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: Avengers on the Move, Nonprofit Tax Filings, Visualizing Uncertainty, Eunice Au & Connected Action

How Networked Reporting Can Boost Your Reporting — and Your Source Pool, Melanie Sill

Six Lessons from Reporting "Heartbroken," Neil Bedi

Document of the Day: How Ukrainian Billionaires Allegedly Laundered Money in the US, GIJN Staff

With the Proliferation of Fake Profiles, Old School Vetting Signals Don’t Work, Mike Caulfield

GIJN’s Data Journalism Top 10: European Election, Data via Audio, Tax Fraud & Parserator, Eunice Au & Connected Action

Tips & Tools

Stories of the Week

Brazil: Lava Jato and Lula, The Intercept

BiH: Corrupt Officials Buy Freedom, CIN

Venezuela: Dark Cacao, Efecto Cocuyo, Connectas & ICFJ

US: A YouTube Radical, NYT

Russia: Behind the Kremlin’s Media Control, OCCRP

Ukraine: Stolen Apartments
Slidstvo

India: A Guru's Amassing of Land, Bus. Standard

US: The Uber Game, FT

Europe: The Unknown Pesticides, Inv. Rptg. Denmark, et. al.

Venezuela: How 7 Tons of Gold Vanished in Africa, WSJ

Global: Green Blood, Forbidden Stories

Data Journalism Awards Winners, GEN

Coming Events

Support GIJN
+Forward this newsletter to a friend
+Sent from a friend? Subscribe here.
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
GIJN.org
GIJN.org
Contact Us
Contact Us
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN), All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 7375 · Silver Spring, MD 20907 · USA

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to "[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================
======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================