Dear all,

I hope you are all doing good and this email reaches you well.

I am writing you today for a joint effort to bring more transparency into the real estate sector.

Kleptocrats and other criminals often launder ill-gotten assets through real estate. Luxury real estate purchases are also often a favorite way for the corrupt to spend and stash their money—especially in desirable locations like New York, Paris, Miami, London, and Hong Kong. The use of anonymous LLCs is a particularly popular vehicle for corrupt actors to funnel their cash into real estate. Identifying real estate owned by high-level public officials and their cronies can be an effective way of exposing potential wrongdoing in individual cases and pushing for reforms on a broader scale. Unfortunately, in many places real estate and property registers are non-existent or inaccessible.

Jurisdictions vary widely with respect to the information they make available about real estate ownership and transactions. Some countries (or states/provinces or municipalities) already have public registers of real estate transactions that are accessible in machine-readable form. Some data is available in, for example, the UK, Spain, France, and the US (in some states), but this information is not always used most effectively. In other jurisdictions, the necessary information is even harder to access. Land registry data across countries can be found on the Global Open Data Index, but availability is generally quite low.

Together with a team of academics, several ICIJ-members, data-journalists and other transparency-oriented people I am currently trying to get an overview about the data available out there – with the aim of gathering it in one place, open to journalists all around the world. With the help of dozens of ICIJ-members, OCCRP, Global Witness and Transparency International we have already gathered the information for more than 50 countries. But it goes without saying: there are huge blind spots yet. We are still lacking the information for:

China

Bangladesh

Nigeria

Mexico

Philippines

Vietnam

Egypt

Ethiopia

Turkey

Iran

Thailand

Congo, Dem. Rep.

Burma

Ukraine

Sudan

Poland

Tanzania

Morocco

Algeria

Afghanistan

Peru

Nepal

Uzbekistan

Saudi Arabia

Iraq

Venezuela

Malaysia

Korea, North

Taiwan

Ghana

Sri Lanka

Mozambique

Syria

Cote d'Ivoire

Cameroon

Kazakhstan

Cambodia

Malawi

Niger

Zimbabwe

Angola

Senegal

Mali

Zambia

Cuba

Belarus

Tunisia

Chad

Guinea

Serbia

Dominican Republic

Bolivia

Somalia

Rwanda

Haiti

Burundi

Azerbaijan

Benin

Honduras

Tajikistan

Hong Kong

El Salvador

Laos

Israel

Sierra Leone

Jordan

Libya

Papua New Guinea

Nicaragua

Togo

Slovakia

Kyrgyzstan

Turkmenistan

Eritrea

Singapore

Moldova

Central African Rep.

Puerto Rico

Lebanon

Congo, Repub. of the

Lithuania

Albania

Mauritania

Oman

Liberia

Mongolia

Jamaica

United Arab Emirates

West Bank

Kuwait

Bhutan

Latvia

Macedonia

Lesotho

Gambia, The

Botswana

Guinea-Bissau

Gaza Strip

Gabon

Mauritius

Swaziland

Trinidad & Tobago

East Timor

Fiji

Qatar

Reunion

Cyprus

Guyana

Bahrain

Comoros

Solomon Islands

Equatorial Guinea

Djibouti

Luxembourg

Macau

Guadeloupe

Suriname

Martinique

Cape Verde

Brunei

Maldives

Bahamas, The

Belize

Barbados

French Polynesia

Western Sahara

Netherlands Antilles

New Caledonia

Vanuatu

Mayotte

French Guiana

Sao Tome & Principe

Samoa

Guam

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Tonga

Virgin Islands

Micronesia, Fed. St.

Kiribati

Jersey

Grenada

N. Mariana Islands

Isle of Man

Aruba

Andorra

Antigua & Barbuda

Dominica

Bermuda

Guernsey

Marshall Islands

American Samoa

Greenland

Faroe Islands

Cayman Islands

Saint Kitts & Nevis

Liechtenstein

Monaco

San Marino

Gibraltar

British Virgin Is.

Cook Islands

Turks & Caicos Is

Palau

Wallis and Futuna

Anguilla

Nauru

Tuvalu

Montserrat

Saint Helena

St Pierre & Miquelon

If you do live in one of these countries or know where to find real-estate information there, please help! You are the experts and your input will help tremendously. I would be glad if you could take 10 minutes time to fill out the following survey on real estate data availability in your country: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zO-ft6e-shxqEuxLpgeTMYrS_jHWW3UIXBdBWsMQdWg/viewform?edit_requested=true

I will, of course, make the data available afterwards to all of you. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Frederik (Obermaier)

Süddeutsche Zeitung GmbH

Investigative Recherche

Hultschiner Straße 8

81677 München

www.frederikobermaier.com

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Skype: frederikobermaier

PGP: http://bit.ly/1AfEXOX

Threema: FPN4FKZE

======================================================================= To unsubscribe or modify list settings go to <URL:lists.reporter.org>. Click "Get Password" if you don't have one, login and visit the "Subscriber's Corner". To unsubscribe now click <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (sends a blank e-mail) or send "unsubscribe GLOBAL-L" in the body of an e-mail message to [log in to unmask]"">"[log in to unmask]". Please e-mail [log in to unmask] if you need help or have questions. =======================================================================