Dianne and I drove down around Swan Lake NWR, Chariton Co. today. I knew there would be high water with some flooding as I had been down several days ago,, but it was much worse than I expected. It reminded me of the way it looked in 1993 when there was Major Flooding all over this area. we were able to drive in from the east gate as far as the spillway at the south end of Silver Lake where the water was rushing out. We then went around and went in the north side of Silver Lake at Taylor Point where we drove through numerous water holes. Parts of refuge road farther west was under water so had to go back up and through Sumner to get to the main entrance. There we found water roaring across the main levee on the west side of Swan Lake causing severe damage to the road and cutting off access to that part of the refuge which, was mostly under water anyway. With water still rising and more rain, conditions will only get worse.   Fountain Grove CA and other places are dealing with the same problems in this and many other areas.

Later,Steve KinderChillicothe, Livingston [log in to unmask]

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/