Okay, I returned to Grindstone Nature Area yesterday afternoon after being out of luck on my first attempt to locate the Swainson's Warbler. I heard him around 6:40 PM and marched towards the loud bird. It’s kind of funny how the online birding community leads people to the same place at the same time for the same bird; as I approached the warbler, I encountered a couple other birders and simply asked “have you seen it?” I did see him a couple times and eventually got some bad photos. If you want to find him, you should learn the song—he’s very vocal.

I should have walked to the SWWA site first so I could make sure I found him before I had to return home for dinner. Instead, I foolishly decided to do a “quick check” on the Ridgeline Trail, where I spent the first 2 hours and 20 minutes slowly shuffling around while gazing up at other warblers. It was a nice trail though—good for warblers and free of other humans.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56041334

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 11:14 PM Kevyn Wiskirchen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I located a Swainson’s Warbler at 3:20 PM at Grindstone NA. I parked in the lot off Capen Park Dr., took the main trail across the bridge, kept to the right and walked about 50 yards and heard it singing loudly in the woods to the left. As previously reported by John, it was very responsive to a Swainson’s song recording (I use Merlin Bird ID) and came in close. I had time to download a voice recording app on my phone and get a decent quality 45-second recording of it singing just overhead. A very cool experience adding this lifer to my list. Thanks, John, for sharing about your sighting.

Kevyn Wiskirchen

Jefferson City, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of John Besser
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 12:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Swainson’s Warbler at Grindstone nature area Columbia

Cara Joos and I went to relocate the hooded warbler at Grindstone NA and it it turned out to be a Swainsons Warbler. Close looks very  good recording’s.  Rusty cap, dark eyeline pale beige under parts large bill.

Bird did not respond to Hooded song but responded aggressively to My recording from Saturday and to the Swainsons song in Sibley app.

 Bird is in the same general area as previous days; north end of isolated hill in center of the area. Bird is currently north of the cross trail that passes on the north side of the hill. Loud song can be heard at some distance.

--

John Besser

Columbia MO