My brother-in-law, David Stokely, and several others went to Jefferson City and testified before the General Laws Committee against the amendment last week that would have allowed the sale of the Eleven Point State Park. None testified in favor. Some of the people testifying represented groups numbering thousands of individuals. The language in the amendment requiring forced auction of the Eleven Point State Park was removed by unanimous vote by the committee two days later. Unless something crazy happens before Friday the issue has been laid to rest for this year.

I want to say "Thanks!" to any of you contacted the senators on the General Laws Committee to protest this auction. By doing so, your voice was heard and positively acted upon by the committee. The stretch of the Eleven Point River and its riparian zone in what contains the Eleven Pint State Park is one of the essential breeding spaces and corridors needed for many migrating birds to reach their breeding habitat and return to their wintering grounds. And, for now, it will remain so.

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO