WHAT:     Blue Grosbeak - Lost Valley field trip, half day to about noon, sponsored by St. Louis Audubon Society.

WHEN:    Saturday, May 18

WHERE:   Meet at the parking lot for the Blue Grosbeak Trail, Weldon Spring CA.  Take US 40/I-64 west across the Missouri River to MO-94.  Exit there, turn left, go across the overpass, and proceed about 3/4 of a mile to the first parking lot on your left.

MEETING TIME: 6:30 a.m. (that's not a typo)

PLAN:   We will walk the Blue Grosbeak Trail and look for some of the typical breeding birds of that area: Blue Grosbeak, Bell's Vireo, Orchard Oriole, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat.  We'll then make a pit stop at Busch CA  to the Fallen Oak Trail, hoping to get a Pine Warbler Howdy!, then stop along HWY D to access Weldon Spring Interpretive Center (behind "Mount Doom") to seek possible Henslow's Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, before continuing down 94 to the Lost Valley Trail for various Eastern woodland songbirds.

WHO:   Everyone is welcome, non-members of St. Louis Audubon Society too, beginner or advanced.

CONDITIONS:  If it is raining and also showing weather radar that looks like rain for a significant portion of the morning, this trip will be cancelled for the day. Please dress appropriately for whatever weather is predicted as we get closer.

WARNING: Mosquitoes have been reported to be numerous at Lost Valley lately. Be prepared to protect yourself against these pests.

EXTRAS: Also it is a good idea to have water, snicker doodles, and binoculars.

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO