Print

Print


We looked for it for over an hour or more and we never found it but heard it twice. 

Karin Pelton 
[log in to unmask]

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2019, at 8:00 PM, MOBIRDS-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> There are 13 messages totaling 1511 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>  1. (No Sightings) Birds and Bees
>  2. Fun at the Feeders, Livingston Co.
>  3. Connecticut Warbler in Warrensburg today (2)
>  4. Black-throated Blue Warbler at Carondelet Park
>  5. Mokane Rd. sandpipers
>  6. Loess Bluffs Question
>  7. Laughing Gull etc., Cora Is. Rd
>  8. Ebird question (no MO sighting) (3)
>  9. SLAS Field Trip Announcement - Shaw Nature Reserve - May 11th - 8:00 AM -
>     Scouting Report & Weather
> 10. Orioles, Orioles, Orioles
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 9 May 2019 21:19:01 -0500
> From:    Ethan Duke <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: (No Sightings) Birds and Bees
> 
> MoBirders!
> 
> 
> Don’t forget the FREE Birds and Bees Festival in Arrow Rock this Saturday. We will have over thirty booths with activities, food, information, and all things related to the conservation of birds and bees. More information can be found at https://mrbo.org/birds-and-bees-fest2019/ <https://mrbo.org/birds-and-bees-fest2019/>. The event is conjunction with the 16th Annual Arrow Rock Garden Market and Vintage Bizarre. 
> 
> You may want to bird Arrow Rock and surrounds before the event. When we hosted the ASM Spring Meeting last year at this time final bird tally was 181 species, including 28 warblers!
> 
> Hope to see you there!
> 
> Ethan
> 
> Ethan C. Duke
> Assistant Director / Co-founder
> Missouri River Bird Observatory
> www.mrbo.org
> <http://mrbohappenings.blogspot.com/>
> https://www.facebook.com/moriverbirdobs
> 660.837.3888 <http://mrbohappenings.blogspot.com/>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> Questions or comments? Email the list owners:
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 02:35:47 +0000
> From:    Dianne & Steve Kinder <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Fun at the Feeders, Livingston Co.
> 
>  Probably like many others on this chilly May day, that felt more like March, we enjoyed lots of colorful birds coming to the feeders in our yard. Minimum numbers included -
> 5 male & 4 female Baltimore Orioles4 male & 2 female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks3 male & 1 female Indigo BuntingsRed-headed Woodpecker,
> plus 18 other species of the more usual Cardinals, Blue Jays, Woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Chickadee, Grackle,Doves, Wrens, etc.
> We also enjoyed seeing the small Fox Squirrel that is all black underneath, that has been coming to the yard the last few days. We have had several of them of this color morph over the years here. We call them Black-bellied Squirrels, though they are normal colored above and black from the face all the way to end of the tail underneath. Pretty cool looking really!
> Happy Yard Birding,Steve & Dianne [log in to unmask]
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> Questions or comments? Email the list owners:
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 9 May 2019 21:41:48 -0500
> From:    mokeefe478 <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Connecticut Warbler in Warrensburg today
> 
> 
> 
> At lunchtime today I observed a Connecticut Warbler at Pertle Springs.It was later seen by Larry Olpin who regularly posts the area on ebird.I posted it on Ebird a little while ago.Pertle Springs has a one way drive from Hale Lake Road, park in the first lot off the drive (make a very hard left turn at the stop sign.The bird was on the west side of the little lake located south of the lot (and up the hill).It was in the understory near the lake.MichaelIndependence, MoSent from Michael
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> Questions or comments? Email the list owners:
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> h
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 12:46:05 +0000
> From:    "Monacell, Peter L." <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Black-throated Blue Warbler at Carondelet Park
> 
> Paul McKenzie and I just observed an adult male Black-throated Blue Warbler at this marked location in Carondelet Park:
> 
> Marked Location<https://maps.apple.com/?address=3823%E2%80%933873%20Holly%20Hills%20Dr,%20Saint%20Louis%20MO%2063116,%20United%20States&ll=38.565413,-90.266618&q=Marked%20Location&_ext=EiQp290DdF9IQ0AxmKHxRBCRVsA5290DdF9IQ0BBmKHxRBCRVsAi/AFodHRwczovL21hcHMuYXBwbGUuY29tLz9hZGRyZXNzPUNhcm9uZGVsZXQlMjBQYXJrLCUyMDM4MjMlRTIlODAlOTMzODczJTIwSG9sbHklMjBIaWxscyUyMERyLCUyMFNhaW50JTIwTG91aXMsJTIwTU8lMjAlMjA2MzExNiwlMjBVbml0ZWQlMjBTdGF0ZXMmbGw9MzguNTY1NDEzLC05MC4yNjY2MTgmcT1NYXJrZWQlMjBMb2NhdGlvbiZfZXh0PUVpUXBoeHJOb3RVOFEwQXhrZWlwOW0rWVZzQTVCdGRVa2VWVFEwQkJTMSt1a3JDSlZzQSUzRCZ0PW0%3D>
> 
> 
> The bird flew towards the water hole and we could not relocate it.
> 
> Pete
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 9 May 2019 21:41:48 -0500
> From:    mokeefe478 <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Connecticut Warbler in Warrensburg today
> 
> 
> 
> At lunchtime today I observed a Connecticut Warbler at Pertle Springs.It was later seen by Larry Olpin who regularly posts the area on ebird.I posted it on Ebird a little while ago.Pertle Springs has a one way drive from Hale Lake Road, park in the first lot off the drive (make a very hard left turn at the stop sign.The bird was on the west side of the little lake located south of the lot (and up the hill).It was in the understory near the lake.MichaelIndependence, MoSent from Michael
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> Questions or comments? Email the list owners:
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> h
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 13:41:03 +0000
> From:    Jane Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Mokane Rd. sandpipers
> 
> Just a note to let folks know there's a group of small sandpipers mixed in with some yellowlegs just 30 yards or so past end of the fence associated with the water plant (and past the water plant). Will try my best to ID. Could not relocate the black terns from yesterday. Jane [log in to unmask]
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 15:44:42 +0000
> From:    Terry McNeely <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Loess Bluffs Question
> 
> I am planning on visiting Loess Bluffs tomorrow and am wondering about the water levels in the pools.
>  I would like to know if there are any mud flats and possible shorebird areas?
> Any bird reports would be appreciated.
> 
> Terry McNeely
> 25843 Grate Ave
> Jameson, MO 64647
> Daviess County
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 13:07:59 -0500
> From:    William Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Laughing Gull etc., Cora Is. Rd
> 
> On Cora Island Road, just south of Riverlands, the usual low spot is
> flooded big time, but it has birds. In a brief scouting visit this morning,
> I saw Dunlin, Black-bellied Plovers, peeps, and six species of larids:
> Black and Caspian Terns, and Ring-billed, Bonaparte's, Franklin's, and
> Laughing Gulls. A scope is necessary. There are probably more species
> present than I saw.
> 
> The Laughing was a single black-hooded (breeding plumage) individual,
> easily picked out in flight by the large amount of black under the
> primaries, trailing along as dark gray under the secondaries as well.
> Franklin's (2 or more of them) show a paler underwing with only a smallish
> triangle of black at the tip. There are also the differences of size and
> structure, including the bill, but at the distance involved, the heavily
> black ventral primaries are the mark to look for if one is in doubt.
> 
> Bill Rowe
> 
> St. Louis
> 
> [log in to unmask]
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 15:13:11 -0500
> From:    "sgg.bluesfan" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Ebird question (no MO sighting)
> 
> Hello everyone.  Recently my software crashed at home losing years of information but the good news is that many of my notes over the last several years were not entered yet so I decided to enter them into ebird.I have added a few recent lists with specific locations that are hot spots on ebird but started to work on older lists.  When I travel and enter another state I jot down birds I see with at best a note of the state and highway or sometimes while stopped what I find.  Many of my notes are not from a hotspot but just simply the date and state.  Some are from a specific park or hot spot but many are not.I am having trouble on the app simply adding a new checklist that simply has only the state although sometimes also the city.  But the app is forcing me to use the map and either select a preexisting hotspot in the general area or it defaults to Missouri.I tried entering one from Phoenix Arizona this morning at it put my entries in a location called Phoeniz Arizona located in Missouri.  Dont think anyone wants my Gambels Quail post showing for Missouri...  I since got that deleted...Anyway, I know many of you have converted to ebird entries and any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  A personal reply is fine but if the information my be helpful to all feel free to share.Thanks!Steve [log in to unmask] Jefferson City MOSent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 15:33:24 -0500
> From:    Tommy Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Ebird question (no MO sighting)
> 
> Hey Steve and anyone else struggling with historic locations,
> 
> Submitting historical bird lists into eBird is definitely hard the first
> time, but it generally doesn't have to be as difficult as people make it
> out to be. You have a Gambel's Quail around Phoenix, so to make a checklist
> for it you will open the map on the app and zoom out until you see the
> state you want to make the list and then zoom in to that area on the map
> (to a place as close as you are comfortable with the sighting) and make a
> personal location. You have to be really zoomed in to make the location,
> probably close enough that you can only see about a mile width on the
> screen. I strongly recommend when you make the personal location to rename
> it; it will initially come up with GPS coordinates, but you can delete that
> name and type in something like "Historical Entry - Not Exact Location" to
> avoid people thinking that you saw a species somewhere that you may not
> have actually seen it.  Try to at least be in the right habitat and county
> for the eBird statistics, but if you do not know then just try to get it as
> close as you are able. As long as the species is not rare in that location
> at that time the reviewer probably will not even look at the report.
> 
> I have only had one real issue submitting historical lists and that was
> submitting a Cinnamon Teal near Salt Lake City. The reviewer asked if I
> really saw it in Pond A and not Pond B, which seemed strange at the time,
> but he explained that the ponds were very different in terms of salinity
> and resulting habitat. The reviewer was not mean about and I agreed that he
> was probably right and I just moved my location half a mile north. eBird
> reviewers have to deal with a lot, so if they do reach out to you about a
> report please try to be open minded if they disagree with you. It is their
> responsibility to maintain a high quality for the database.
> 
> If this doesn't really answer your questions feel free to email/call me and
> I can try to help you figure it out.
> 
> Good luck,
> 
> *Tommy J Goodwin Jr., E.I. *
> *St. Charles, MO*
> 417-241-9189 | [log in to unmask]
> 
> 
>> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM sgg.bluesfan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> Hello everyone.  Recently my software crashed at home losing years of
>> information but the good news is that many of my notes over the last
>> several years were not entered yet so I decided to enter them into ebird.
>> 
>> I have added a few recent lists with specific locations that are hot spots
>> on ebird but started to work on older lists.  When I travel and enter
>> another state I jot down birds I see with at best a note of the state and
>> highway or sometimes while stopped what I find.  Many of my notes are not
>> from a hotspot but just simply the date and state.  Some are from a
>> specific park or hot spot but many are not.
>> 
>> I am having trouble on the app simply adding a new checklist that simply
>> has only the state although sometimes also the city.  But the app is
>> forcing me to use the map and either select a preexisting hotspot in the
>> general area or it defaults to Missouri.
>> 
>> I tried entering one from Phoenix Arizona this morning at it put my
>> entries in a location called Phoeniz Arizona located in Missouri.  Dont
>> think anyone wants my Gambels Quail post showing for Missouri...  I since
>> got that deleted...
>> 
>> Anyway, I know many of you have converted to ebird entries and any help
>> you can give would be greatly appreciated.  A personal reply is fine but if
>> the information my be helpful to all feel free to share.
>> 
>> Thanks!
>> Steve Griffaw
>> [log in to unmask]
>> Jefferson City MO
>> 
>> 
>> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> *The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum*
>> Archives <https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html> / Subscription
>> options <https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / ASM
>> Website <http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners
>> <[log in to unmask]>
>> 
>> ABA Birding Code of Ethics <http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html>
>> 
>> ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain
>> View, MO Details and Online Registration
>> <http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx>
>> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 15:42:13 -0500
> From:    MIke Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Ebird question (no MO sighting)
> 
> eBird provides an Excel template that you can use to upload historical
> data. Read the information carefully on the page, then give it a try.
> 
> https://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/973915-uploading-data-to-ebird?b_id=1928
> 
> After
> 
>> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM sgg.bluesfan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> Hello everyone.  Recently my software crashed at home losing years of
>> information but the good news is that many of my notes over the last
>> several years were not entered yet so I decided to enter them into ebird.
>> 
>> I have added a few recent lists with specific locations that are hot spots
>> on ebird but started to work on older lists.  When I travel and enter
>> another state I jot down birds I see with at best a note of the state and
>> highway or sometimes while stopped what I find.  Many of my notes are not
>> from a hotspot but just simply the date and state.  Some are from a
>> specific park or hot spot but many are not.
>> 
>> I am having trouble on the app simply adding a new checklist that simply
>> has only the state although sometimes also the city.  But the app is
>> forcing me to use the map and either select a preexisting hotspot in the
>> general area or it defaults to Missouri.
>> 
>> I tried entering one from Phoenix Arizona this morning at it put my
>> entries in a location called Phoeniz Arizona located in Missouri.  Dont
>> think anyone wants my Gambels Quail post showing for Missouri...  I since
>> got that deleted...
>> 
>> Anyway, I know many of you have converted to ebird entries and any help
>> you can give would be greatly appreciated.  A personal reply is fine but if
>> the information my be helpful to all feel free to share.
>> 
>> Thanks!
>> Steve Griffaw
>> [log in to unmask]
>> Jefferson City MO
>> 
>> 
>> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> *The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum*
>> Archives <https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html> / Subscription
>> options <https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / ASM
>> Website <http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners
>> <[log in to unmask]>
>> 
>> ABA Birding Code of Ethics <http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html>
>> 
>> ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain
>> View, MO Details and Online Registration
>> <http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx>
>> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 23:19:19 +0000
> From:    Bernie Favara <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: SLAS Field Trip Announcement - Shaw Nature Reserve - May 11th - 8:00 AM - Scouting Report & Weather
> 
> Jean and I spent the day at Shaw.  The cold and clouds seemed to keep things quiet, but we still had a good variety if not impressive numbers.  We were able to get all the way to the gravel bar, although there is a short detour.  Given the current weather forecast of 100% chance of rain after 9:00 AM everyone should bring their rain gear.  As long as it is not raining too hard, we will plan to keep birding, although we may change up the route if things get too slick.  If there is hard rain or any indication of lighting, then we'll make the call to quit early.
> Thanks!
> Bernie
> Black-&-White WarblerCommon YellowthroatMagnolia WarblerBlue-winged Warbler (heard only)Cerulean Warbler (heard only)Chestnut-sided WarblerKentucky Warbler (heard only)Nashville WarblerProthonotary Warbler (very brief flyby, but heard several)Tennessee WarblerWilson's WarblerYellow WarblerYellow-throated WarblerNorthern ParulaAmerican RedstartPileated WoodpeckerDowny WoodpeckerRed-bellied WoodpeckerRed-headed WoodpeckerHouse WrenCarolina WrenYellow-throated Vireo (heard only)White-eyed VireoWarbling Vireo (heard only)Red-eyed VireoEastern TowheeTufted TitmouseWood Thrush (heard only)Swainson's ThrushBrown TrasherGray CatbirdNorthern MockingbirdSummer TanagerChimney SwiftTree SwallowNorthern Rough-winged SwallowWhit-crowned SparrowField SparrowChipping SparrowAmerican RobinEastern PhoebeOrchard OrioleBaltimore OrioleWhite-breasted NuthatchMississippi Kite (long distance flyby)Eastern KingbirdBlue JayRuby-throated HummingbirdGreen Heron (Building a nest!!  Hope to be able to show this to everyone.)Red-shouldered HawkBlue Grosbeak (female, at the Wildflower sale on the far west side)American GoldfinchBlue-gray GnatcatcherLeast FlycatcherGreat Crested Flycatcher (heard only)Acadian Flycatcher (heard only)Bald EagleWood DuckMourning DoveFish Crow (heard only)Brown-headed CowbirdChickadeeYellow-breasted ChatNorthern CardinalIndigo BuntingNorthern Bobwhite (heard only)Eastern BluebirdRed-winged Blackbird
> 
> 
>    On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 10:46:41 AM CDT, Bernie Favara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  
> 
> 
> Greetingsmobirders:
> 
>  
> 
> TheSt. Louis Audubon Society is sponsoring a field trip to Shaw Nature Reserve (SNR) in GraySummit this Saturday from 8:00 AM toaround 4:00 PM. 
> 
>  
> 
> Note:  Pleasenote the start time is 8:00 AM.  SNR recentlychanged their opening time and the gate does not open until 8:00 AM.
> 
>  
> 
> Leaders:  Bernie & Jean Favara
> 
>  
> 
> Bring:  binoculars,field guides, plenty of water, snacks, lunch, bug spray, and sturdy hikingboots/shoes
> 
>  
> 
> Directions:  Shaw Nature Reserve is on I-44 in GraySummit, Missouri, approximately 32 miles southwest of the Missouri BotanicalGarden (in St. Louis) and 22 miles west of the I-44/I-270 interchange. The GraySummit I-44 exit is #253, just two exits west of Six Flags (Allenton/Eureka).
> 
>   - Westbound I-44 from exit ramp, turn left, crossing over I-44. Turn right at the intersection (at the Mobil) and go 50 yards to the large iron gates on the left side of the road.
>   - Eastbound I-44, from exit ramp #253, turn right at top of ramp and then another right at at intersection (at the Mobil) and go 50 yards to the large iron gates on the left side of the road.
> 
> Wewill meet in the parking lot adjacent to the visitor center, but we willrelocate to the Bascom House parking lot. Here’s the link to the visitor guide: http://www.mobot.org/snr/PDFs/SNRVisitorGuide.pdf
> 
> 
>  
> 
> This is planned as an all-day field trip and will involve 5-7miles of hiking over various terrain.  Wewill begin in the Whitmire Wildflower Garden and the areas around the BascomHouse.  We will proceed to the MaritzTrail House, follow the Goddard River Trail through the glade and down to theriver, and, time permitting, loop by the wetland area before returning to theBascom House.  As always, people can comeand go as they wish.
> 
>  
> 
> This should be a very good time to see lots of migratingsongbirds -- warblers, thrushes, tanagers, vireos, etc.  We’ll also have an opportunity to look forHenslow’s Sparrows.
> 
>  
> 
> The trip is free and open to everyone, however there is a $5.00 ($3.00for Seniors) admission fee to SNR for anyone that is not a member of theMissouri Botanical Garden.  Jean and Ican take four guests and we’ll likely have other MBG members, so please checkwith me before paying.
> 
>  
> 
> Hope to see you there!
> 
>  
> 
> Bernie Favara
> 
> [log in to unmask]
> 
> St. Louis County
> 
> 314-603-9461 (Mobile)
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> Archives / Subscription options / ASM Website / Email the list owners
> 
> 
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> 
> ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO Details and Online Registration
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Fri, 10 May 2019 19:10:57 -0500
> From:    Daniel Getman <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Orioles, Orioles, Orioles
> 
> For the last few days, we’ve had a large number of orioles, both male and female, constantly visiting our feeders - grape jelly feeders and hummingbird nectar feeders.
> 
> I honestly cannot estimate how many, but clearly the most we have ever had in our yard.  Certainly more than 8-10.
> 
> Invariably, this has led to some confrontations at the feeders.  
> 
> I always enjoy observing bird behavior.  Since today was the 1st sunny day, I decided to try to capture some of the activity of the orioles facing off over the feeders and landing at the feeders.
> 
> For those of you who are photographers, this can be a little tricky, so I tried several different things; 
> tripod with remote shutter trigger so I can watch the action without looking through the view finder 
> wide depth of field
> even manually focusing behind the feeder, so I could capture them as they approached the feeder - this was a little tricky.  Contact me offline, if you’d like details on how I did this
> 
> Photos can be found at: flicker.com/photos/dgetman/sets.  Still some improvement needed, but judge for yourself.
> 
> Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics
> http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of MOBIRDS-L Digest - 9 May 2019 to 10 May 2019 (#2019-122)
> ***************************************************************

------------------------------------------------------------
The Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html