Last night’s northbound thunderstorms must have pushed more songbirds into
mid-Missouri. This morning, while it was still raining, I stood on my deck
under the roof and saw a Blue-headed Vireo and heard several warbler
species. I heard a Nashville, probably a Blackpoll, a couple Tennessees, a
Chestnut-sided, and saw a Magnolia Warbler after hearing at least one. CSWA
(“very-very-very-pleased-to-meetcha!”) and MAWA (“weeda-weeda-weedio!”) are
FOS for me. While all of these species are expected here this month, I just
thought I’d share my experience, and I was wondering if anyone else in this
region also had a similar morning.

What I had not expected was an Indigo Bunting in my backyard. Although they
are now very abundant elsewhere around here, I am surrounded by suburbs and
never find them in my neighborhood. So, this is a rare sighting for my
yard. I think I caught a glimpse of one before, in my backyard several
years ago. I heard him singing in the rain for a while and then I spotted
him perched by some honeysuckle for a moment.

After lunch, I brought my binoculars when I went out to walk my dog, which
turned out to be good thinking as I saw a couple of Mississippi Kites
circling above (another FOS species).

Josh Mosteller
Boone County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/