My wife arrived home from a trip to town with a report of a black bird with white on its wings up the road...Bobolink!

So I jumped in the car and drove up the road to find 4 at the immediate neighbors on the 20800 block S. Prospect and three more at the bison ranch at the corner of 203rd. Two and a half hours later I finished a 15 mile loop with almost 55 species:

Turkey Vulture
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Killdeer
Barred Owl (daytime hunting) (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Belted Kingfisher (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Chimney Swift (most abundant bird of the day)
Common Crow
Bluejay
Tufted Titmouse
Black-capped Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Barn Swallow
Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Loggerhead Shrike (1)
Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Swainson's Thrush (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Wood Pewee
Least Flycatcher (1)
Eastern Kingbird
Warbling Vireo (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Bell's Vireo (one, east side of State Line Road. Same location discovered last year. Also calling in our yard last week)
Yellow Warbler
Warbler (sp)
Common Yellowthroat (in the plum thicket adjacent our prairie restoration.)
Louisiana Waterthrush (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Ovenbird
American Redstart
Brown-headed Cowbird
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Dickcissel (abundant)
Summer Tanager (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Eastern Meadowlark
Bobolink (7-all males)
Orchard Oriole
Northern Oriole
Rufous-sided Towhee
Northern Cardinal
American Goldfinch
Indigo Bunting
House Finch
Lark Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Horned Lark

Barn Owl calling in the hay prairie across the road from home finished off the day just now at 10:03 pm. (usually hear them about three or four times a month in the nighttime hours in the warmer seasons. Have had a pair in the barn on oaccasions.)

All-in-all a great day close to home.

Tom Martin
20808 S. Prospect Avenue
Belton, MO 64012