On Friday afternoon Joanna and I took a shot at finding the Swainson’s
Warbler others have reported at Grindstone Park in Columbia. We walked
various trail loops from about 5-6 pm, centered on its expected
location, hearing and seeing a variety of other interesting things (like
courting Flickers; really cool and could be its own MoBirds post) but no
warbler.

Just after 6, we had started up the trail along the top of Lost Hill
when we heard a very clear Swainson’s song through the woods behind us,
in the direction of the major trail intersection where it’s been
reported before. We heard the song three times in steady succession, but
due to thick vegetation could not see its source or the trails on that
side of the woods. We hurried back down and around the trails and waited
for another ~20 minutes in the most likely area, but never heard it
again.

This raises a common concern of mine about people using playback to call
in birds: you often don’t know whether other birders are nearby
(particularly in public areas like this heavily-used park with obscured
sightlines) and what effect your phone has in the soundscape. We’re
absolutely sure we heard a Swainson’s Warbler song, which would be a
life bird for both of us. However, given that multiple people have
reported using playback in the last few days to trick this bird into
vocalizing or approaching, we can’t be 100% sure we didn’t hear another
birder’s phone instead of the real bird. Although the quality and
projection we heard implied a real bird, there will always be an
asterisk in our minds about this possible life bird because of the known
repeated use of playback at this location. For this reason, we did not
include it in our eBird list.

I’m generally not in favor of using artificial sound for a variety of
reasons, including unnecessary stimulation of birds and an old-school
sense of “fair play” that likes finding birds (or not) based on skill
and perseverance rather than technology. Those are personal decisions
that don’t affect others, but the use of playback does affect others
when it causes confusion or disruption. Both Joanna and I particularly
enjoy birding by ear and studying bird behavior, making our enjoyment of
birding especially sensitive to playback issues. The ABA Code of Ethics
specifically says:

“Limit the use of recordings and other methods of attracting birds, and
never use such methods in heavily birded areas or for attracting any
species that is Threatened, Endangered, of Special Concern, or is rare
in your local area.”

I hope birders will continue to give thought to the full context of
using playback, which is a useful tool at times but can also be abused
to the detriment of birders who feel uncomfortable protesting its use or
don’t have the chance to.

Checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56126473

ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO