My wife arrived home from a trip to town with a report of a black bird with white on its wings up the road...Bobolink!
So I jumped in the car and drove up the road to find 4 at the immediate neighbors on the 20800 block S. Prospect and three more at the bison ranch at the corner of 203rd. Two and a half hours later I finished a 15 mile loop with almost 55 species:
Turkey VultureRed Tailed Hawk (1)KilldeerBarred Owl (daytime hunting) (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)Red-bellied WoodpeckerMourning DoveDowny WoodpeckerBelted Kingfisher (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Chimney Swift (most abundant bird of the day)
Common CrowBluejay
Tufted TitmouseBlack-capped ChickadeeCarolina WrenBarn SwallowRough-winged SwallowTree SwallowBlue-gray Gnatcatcher
Loggerhead Shrike (1)CatbirdNorthern MockingbirdBrown ThrasherSwainson's Thrush (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Eastern BluebirdAmerican RobinEastern PhoebeEastern Wood Pewee
Least Flycatcher (1)Eastern KingbirdWarbling Vireo (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)Bell's Vireo (one, east side of State Line Road. Same location discovered last year. Also calling in our yard last week)Yellow WarblerWarbler (sp)Common Yellowthroat (in the plum thicket adjacent our prairie restoration.)
Louisiana Waterthrush (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
OvenbirdAmerican Redstart
Brown-headed CowbirdRed-winged BlackbirdGreat-tailed GrackleDickcissel (abundant)
Summer Tanager (Grand River property adjacent Byars Rock Quarry on YY highway and Cleveland Ave.)
Eastern MeadowlarkBobolink (7-all males)Orchard OrioleNorthern OrioleRufous-sided TowheeNorthern CardinalAmerican GoldfinchIndigo BuntingHouse FinchLark SparrowClay-colored SparrowHorned Lark
Barn Owl calling in the hay prairie across the road from home finished off the day just now at 10:03 pm. (usually hear them about three or four times a month in the nighttime hours in the warmer seasons. Have had a pair in the barn on oaccasions.)
 All-in-all a great day close to home.

Tom Martin20808 S. Prospect AvenueBelton, MO 64012

ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO