I saw the season's first female RTHU at my HummZinger feeder this morning. She spent quite awhile guzzling before moving on. I've not seen her again, so I presume she was just passing through (as most hummers are this time of year).

I've also watched a couple of attempts by non-marked male(s) to use the feeder over the past few days, but the first-to-arrive male, which I banded and color marked, ran it/them off. He sits in the top of a mulberry and defends the yard aggressively. In other words, a perfectly normal hummingbird.

I'll be banding hummers at Onondaga Cave State Park visitor's center on Saturday, May 4, from 10 to noon, and at Montauk State Park lodge on Sunday, May 5, from 9 to noon. These are free public events, and everyone is welcome to watch.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO