In guiding a visiting birder this morning, I took him first to the Blue Grosbeak Trail, where we found Henslow's Sparrows in the very large grassy field on the west side of the trail -- the same field they were in last year. It was hard to guess how many singing birds we actually had, due partly to their ventriloqual ability; I held my estimate to 8, but that is probably low, and furthermore we covered only a relatively small part of the field. At first light they seemed to be singing from hiding places low down in the grass, but once the sun was up, a couple of them jumped up for excellent views.

At Lost Valley we had fine looks at Yellow-throated Warbler and Louisiana Waterthrush, and then down in the Weldon Spring CA bottoms past the Katy Trail, there was a single Little Blue Heron and, oddly, a Bonaparte's Gull in some remnant floodwater. Over the Katy Trail ridge, among the Red-tails and TV's, we eventually saw two Black Vultures, which I seldom miss down there these days if I spend enough time.

Finally, a quick look along the Fallen Oak Trail at Busch gave us a nice surprise: male and female Pine Warblers foraging in the sunlight ON the asphalt path, along with Chipping Sparrows and even another Yellow-throated Warbler. I've never seen that before. Nice morning!

Bill Rowe

St. Louis