On my walk at Columbia's Forum Nature Area this afternoon, I estimated around 70 Yellow-rumped Warblers present on my route. I didn't even walk around the eastern loop due to limited time—otherwise, I likely would've found a total over a hundred. They were quite overwhelming today.

The first thing that stuck out to me when I arrived was dozens of swallows swooping over the lake that I walked around. The majority of them were Tree Swallows, with a few Northern Rough-winged and Barn Swallows. Not a new thing for this region this year, but the first swallow flock I've seen at this location this season.

In addition to loads of Yellow-rumped Warblers, the budding trees also hosted several kinglets (including a few golden-crowned) and gnatcatchers. A few Northern Parulas were also in the mix and I heard at least one Yellow-throated Warbler by Hinkson Creek. I was paying much more attention to the warblers and kinglets in the woods than  the big lake, but I did spot at least eight Blue-winged Teals while I was there.

Songbird-watching has gotten a lot more exciting this week, and I’m expecting to find many more returning species in the near future. Forum NA is a nice place for an easy walk to observe them.