On my walk at Columbia's Forum Nature Area this afternoon, I estimated
around 70 Yellow-rumped Warblers present on my route. I didn't even walk
around the eastern loop due to limited time—otherwise, I likely would've
found a total over a hundred. They were quite overwhelming today.

The first thing that stuck out to me when I arrived was dozens of swallows
swooping over the lake that I walked around. The majority of them were Tree
Swallows, with a few Northern Rough-winged and Barn Swallows. Not a new
thing for this region this year, but the first swallow flock I've seen at
this location this season.

In addition to loads of Yellow-rumped Warblers, the budding trees also
hosted several kinglets (including a few golden-crowned) and gnatcatchers.
A few Northern Parulas were also in the mix and I heard at least one
Yellow-throated Warbler by Hinkson Creek. I was paying much more attention
to the warblers and kinglets in the woods than  the big lake, but I did
spot at least eight Blue-winged Teals while I was there.

Songbird-watching has gotten a lot more exciting this week, and I’m
expecting to find many more returning species in the near future. Forum NA
is a nice place for an easy walk to observe them.

ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO