Margy - as always, I enjoyed your photos and noted that the goldfinch are further along in their color change than the ones here in Kirksville, which is only about 100 miles north of St Louis.  On Friday, I counted over 25 goldfinch on our various nyjer feeders.  Yesterday, hardly any.   Last year we had lots of pine siskin, this year only a few.

Our river birch catkins are just starting to emerge here.   Last year I photographed the goldfinch pecking at the emerging catkins, which Id never noticed before.  Photos (which I note are dated Apr 28/29 last year) can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dgetman/albums/72157666355770197).

Dan Getman, Kirksville, in northeast MO