Went to Hamilton City Lake today.  The Snow Goose numbers have definitely increased since Friday as well as the ruts in the road. 4x4 was required to get to the back side today.

The most interesting thing was a Mallard eating a fish.  I watched the male Mallard bring up a small fish from the water and hop up onto the ice. The fish appeared to be a perch about 5 inches long. The duck worked the fish around in it's bill, dropped it on the ice and picked it up again and repeated the process again and again. It appeared like it was descaling the fish. After about 10 minutes it picked up the fish and worked it around and head first, swallowed it whole.

I have never observed this behavior before.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53677736

Terry McNeely
25843 Grate Ave
Jameson, MO 64647