Dear journalists,

We are very proud to present the 2019 European Press Prize shortlist!
<https://www.europeanpressprize.com/shortlist-european-press-prize-2019/> A
tribute to all journalists creating awe-inspiring work year in, year out. At
the award ceremony, held in Warsaw at the Gazeta Wyborcza on May 23rd, the
winners of all 4 categories - plus a Special Award - will be announced.

All shortlisted articles will be published in English on the European Press
Prize website before May 23. To receive the stories in your inbox, sign up
to the European Press Prize
newsletter here <https://www.europeanpressprize.com/newsletter/>.

Want to help increase the audience of this year's laureates? We greatly
appreciate any retweets
<https://twitter.com/EuroPressPrize/status/1110436676260761600> or facebook
shares <https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanPressPrize/>.

Enjoy!

*Category: Distinguished Reporting*

●      *‘56 days’* by Katrin Kuntz, Marian Blasberg (co-author), Christoph
Scheuermann (contributor) (published by Der Spiegel, Germany).

●      *‘Gaza. It’s time for change’ *by Francesca Borri (published by
Yedioth Ahronoth, Israel, La Repubblica, Italy).

●      *‘If We Were Roma, We Would Not Come Back from Britain’* by Denisa
Gdovinová and Filip Olsovsky (published by .týždeň, Slovakia).

●      *‘I’m going for an HIV’ *by Ekaterina Fomina (published by Novaya
Gazeta, Russia).

●      *‘Prisoners of the fourth floor’* by Ewa Wołkanowska-Kołodziej
(published by Pismo. Magazyn Opinii, Poland).

●      *‘Viktor Orbán's reckless football obsession’* by Dan Nolan and
David Goldblatt (published by The Guardian, UK).

*Category: Innovation*

●      *‘The Drums of Democracy’* by Cătălina Dumbrăveanu, Ramin Mazur,
John Donica, Victoria Colesnic and the Edges of Europe team (published by
Are We Europe, International, and 360 Magazine, The Netherlands)).

●      *‘Elections clouds cleared: which party, which candidate says what?’* by
Efe Kerem Sözeri, published by P24 (Turkey).

●      *‘Endgame’* by Maximilian Popp (published by Der Spiegel, Germany
and The Black Sea, Romania).

●      *‘Forbidden Stories’* by Laurent Richard, featured in The Guardian
(UK), La Republicca (Italy), Times of Malta, Le Monde (France), OCCRP
(global), France 2, radio France, IRPI, Süddeutsche Zeitung (Germany), Die
Zeit (Germany), Reuters (international), NDR (Germany).

●      *‘Palmyra, the other side’* by Guillermo Abril and Carlos Spottorno,
featured in Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin (Germany) & El País Semanal (Spain).

●      *‘Radmesser’* by Michael Gegg and Fabian Altenried, Martin Baaske,
Andreas Baum, Hans Hack, Jakob Kluge, Hendrik Lehmann, David Meidinger,
Hannes Soltau and Helena Wittlich (published by Der Tagesspiegel, Germany).

*Category: Investigative Reporting*

●      *‘The Brotherhood of Killers and Cops’* by Roman Anin (published by
Novaya Gazeta, Russia).

●      *‘Money laundering at Danske Bank’ *by Eva Jung, Simon Bendtsen and
Michael Lund (published by Berlingske, Denmark, and many since then).

●      *‘Myanmar Burning’* by Wa Lone, Kyaw Soe Oo, Simon Lewis and Antoni
Slodkowski (published by Reuters, international). *Note: Wa Lone and Kyaw
Soe Oo were arrested and sentenced to seven years in prison in Myanmar
while working on this investigation.*

●      *‘Propaganda War in Europe: The Far-Right Media’* by Nina Horaczek
(published by Falter, Austria).

●      *‘Unmasking the Salisbury Poisoning Suspects: A Four-Part
Investigation’* by Christo Grozev, Roman Dobrokhotov and Daniel Romein
(published by Bellingcat UK).

●      *‘Windrush Scandal*’ by Amelia Gentleman (published by The Guardian,
UK).

*Category: Opinion*

●      *‘The end of Atlanticism: has Trump killed the ideology that won the
cold war?’* by Madeleine Schwartz (The Guardian, UK)

●      *‘Let’s continue talking about murder, not Fico’s media tyranny’ *by
Beata Balogova (published by SME, Slovakia).

●      *‘Someone I wish I hadn’t known’ *by Vera Mulder (published by De
Correspondent, The Netherlands).

●      *‘Trial runs for fascism are in full flow’ *by Fintan O’Toole
(published by The Irish Times, Ireland).

●      *‘Use article 7 against my country’ *by Radu Dumitrescu (published
by The New Federalist, Romania).
--
*LILY SCHIM VAN DER LOEFF*
Partnerships at *European Press Prize* <http://europeanpressprize.com/>