A sample from another review (in London Evening Standard) I might’ve shared
earlier:

“He commissions books and articles, he assesses submissions. He responds to
invitations and suggestions, always with courtesy, even when refusing. He
supplies references and letters of introduction, he offers advice. He
constantly apologises for delays in replying and he thanks people for their
contributions, their comments, their hospitality, friendship and support.

All this can make repetitious reading now, essential though it may have
been then to the literary culture he was seeking to nurture. Yet taken
together these letters are little less than a lesson in conduct, a kind of
tireless poise, a demonstration of grace under pressure.

They are invariably, as Haffenden notes in his preface, “humane and
engaging, constructive and inventive, and frequently jokey” — and sometimes
they are more than that: revealing, touching and wise. They are also, like
all good letters, wonderfully different in tone when writing to different
friends and acquaintances.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/books/the-letters-of-t-s-eliot-volume-8-19361938-edited-by-valerie-eliot-and-john-haffenden-review-a4041651.html

Insightful.

CR