Thanks, Rick, by trial and error, working backwards from the need to come up with 26 as the answer for 7 divided into the bracketed numbers, I was able to figure out what needed to happen within the brackets. And sold my last algebra textbook back to the book store circa 1965, but googling the equation now, the top two results show "3√4" with no X sign which is maybe what you meant by adjacent.

In any case at the risk of repeating something previously posted, here's a science verse I learned from the mom of a childhood friend. Said mom could have been a physics or chemistry prof, but it was the 1950s, so she raised two sons into those careers instead.

Scintillate, scintillate, globular vivific,
Fain how I fathom thy nature specific.
Loftily posed in the ether capacious,
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.

Cheers,