Nancy don’t make too much over “reference frames”.  Poets do it all the time.  It is in the second stanza where the poet clearly invokes Einstein.

Think of reference frames as three dimensioned (actually 4 dimensioned when including a clock) places or containers (with rulers and clocks) where something happens.  Einstein’s favorites were a moving railroad car and a train station.  He had someone in the moving car observing what was happening inside the car and someone in the station also observing what was happening in the car.  He used this to demonstrate that simultaneous observation was a fiction and that the speed of light was unaffected by the speed of the railroad car.

MacDiarmid in the very first line has the poet in one place observing a lass in clearly another place.  Unlike Einstein who defines his “place” quite exactly the poet doesn’t.  The lass is singing to a child that is in a another reference frame to her and the poet.

In the second stanza the poet makes clear reference to Einstein’s “General  Theory of Relativity.  In writing about the first stanza I was referring to Einstein’s use of reference frames in his “Special Theory”.  In the second stanza the poet alludes to the “General Theory” when he writes of light bending around something and not being reflected by it.   The “Special Theory” is concerned with the speed of light as a universe constant regardless of the uniform motion of a reference frame.  The “General Theory” is concerned with gravity and, by the way, is where Einstein corrects Newton.  The Apple didn’t fall quite like Newton thought.  The “General Theory” predicts that light will appear to be bent as it passes a massive object like a star.  Actually it is space/time itself that is bent by the massive object and light follows the bend.   Light in the poet’s last reference frame is bent by the head of the lass who is in another reference frame to the poet.

Sent from my iPad