Yes.   MacDiarmid seems to be writing about things in separate reference frames.  Special relativity is all about the relationships of the speed of light in various reference frames.

Interestingly, as all know, the speed of light is a constant whatever reference frame is used.  How is this?  Well, time is NOT a constant but varies.  This makes reading Eliot especially interesting.  “Time present and time past”

Sent from my iPad