Dear Richard,

Thanks, that was my point. There is no conflict between math and poetry, quite the opposite. If it sounded as if I meant anything other, I didn't write it clearly.
Anyway, I'm sure calculus students could coexist beautifully with Eliot.

There is a MacDiarmid poem that has a very mysterious ending, and a scientist once wrote to me that he must have recently read Einstein. The last lines are as follows:

Wunds wi' worlds to swing
Dinnae sing so sweet.
The lift that hangs oer a' thing,
Is less ta'en up wi'it.

That is from memory. But "wunds" is "winds"; 'Dinnae " is "did not"; "lift" is the sky; and "ta'en" is "taken."

Does that have some resonance you see with science?
Nancy
P. S. MacDiarmid wrote many late poems he called poems of fact and they have a lot of science. The most magnificent is probably "On a Raised Beach."